JYM Supplement Users Guide
Taking supplements for optimal results isn’t just a random thing. There’s a science to it, literally. Timing is critical, as is proper dosing and the biochemical interactions between individual ingredients. I’ve taken care of formulating all the JYM products for you in the right combinations and in the safest, most effective doses.
Unfortunately, compliance regulations on supplement labeling prevents me from listing the most effective and thorough dosing instructions on some JYM products. That said, there are a few tricks of the trade I recommend implementing to achieve the best results possible with the JYM Supplement Science line. I’ve outlined them all right here, in one place, for each of my eight individual products. Follow these “rules” while hitting the gym hard and eating well and you’ll be leaving nothing to chance.
Storing Your JYM Supplements
To avoid any breakdown of ingredients, your supplements should never be exposed to prolonged heat. Store them indoors in a dry place at room temperature. Generally speaking, they should be kept at between 32 and 80 degrees. Feel free to reserve a kitchen cabinet for all your JYM products – just make sure that cabinet isn’t right above or below a heat source like your oven or stove. Your best bet is to keep them in the pantry or other cabinet away from the stove and refrigerator. Both the refrigerator and the bathroom should be avoided due to humidity, though Omega JYM does well in the fridge.
- Shake up the container of Pre JYM (making sure the cap is on tight!) before use to make sure all 13 ingredients are mixed up, remain in their intended ratios and none have settled at the bottom. I recommend taking the scoop out before you do this so it doesn’t get buried in the powder!
- Mix Pre JYM in plenty of water. The label instructs 14 ounces of water, so use that much at the very least. Personally, I use 20-24 ounces. You want to make sure all ingredients dissolve (creatine in particular) to ensure they’re getting into your system gradually as you sip on the solution, and this requires a sufficient amount of water. You don’t want the creatine sitting at the bottom and taking all of it in with your last gulp of Pre JYM; this could cause digestive discomfort (not to mention explosive diarrhea) for those sensitive to creatine.
- Be sure the water isn't too cold. Warmer water will allow the ingredients to go into solution quicker. Watch my Daily Video Tip on my YouTube channel regarding making ice-cold Pre JYM and Post JYM after the ingredients go into solution.
- Mix/shake Pre JYM vigorously with water, then let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes (while frequently shakingit) before starting to sip on it to make sure all ingredients are dissolved into solution. Don’t just mix Pre JYM and then immediately start drinking it. That said, don’t let mixed up Pre JYM sit for more than around eight hours if kept in the fridge or three hours at room temperature – if you do, the creatine will start to break down.
- Don’t chug Pre JYM. Sip on it over the course of the 20-45 minutes leading up to your workout to ensure maximal absorption of all ingredients in your body. And during that time, keep shaking your bottle periodically. Personally, I like to give it a shake before every sip just to make sure it’s all getting dissolved and mixed properly.
- Pre JYM may cause a mild tingling sensation in your skin. This is known as paresthesia. Don’t be concerned. This is due to the beta-alanine and is perfectly normal and safe.
The guidelines here are very similar to Pre JYM, since the two products contain several common ingredients (BCAAs, creatine, beta-alanine, betaine):
- Shake up the container of Post JYM active matrix (making sure the cap is on tight!) before use to make sure all 13 ingredients are mixed up, stay in their intended ratios and none have settled at the bottom. I recommend taking the scoop out before you do this so it doesn’t get buried in the powder!
- Mix Post JYM in plenty of water. I recommend at least 20 ounces, and up to 32.
- If you’re having Post JYM fast carbs/dextrose, throw that in the shaker cup too.
- Mix/shake Post JYM vigorously with water and then let it sit for awhile – at least 10-15 minutes while continuing to shake it up periodically – before sipping on it. If possible, have your Post JYM already mixed before your workout so it’s waiting for you when you finish training (preferably in a cooler or refrigerator so it stays cold for the best taste). Shake it up again, then starting sipping. Just don’t let mixed up Post JYM sit for more than around eight hours refrigerated – if you do, the creatine will start to break down.
- Again, sip on Post JYM slowly over the next 20+ minutes for maximal absorption and to avoid any stomach discomfort.
- If you have Post JYM dextrose mixed in, your post-workout carbs are taken care of. If not, chomp on your fast carbs (gummy bears, pixy sticks, white bread, etc.) as you’re drinking your Post JYM active matrix.
- I’m not overly particular about whether you take Post JYM or Pro JYM first after your workout. I typically finish my Pro JYM before I start sipping on Post JYM, but many other people start sipping on their Post JYM immediately after working out and then chug their Pro JYM when they’re finished with that. Either way is fine.
- Post JYM may cause a mild tingling sensation in your skin. Again, it's just the beta-alanine. Don’t be concerned.
- How much water you mix with Pro JYM isn’t as crucial as it is with Pre JYM and Post JYM. It’s really a matter of personal preference. If you like a thicker protein shake, go with 4-6 ounces of water. But feel free to mix it with more than that (12 ounces or so) if you like. Just remember, if you’re having more than one scoop of Pro JYM at a time, you’ll probably want to add more water to keep the taste consistent. So 8-12 ounces of water with two scoops of Pro JYM would give you a nice thick shake.
- There’s no need to let Pro JYM sit for a while after mixing or sip on it slowly (as with Pre JYM and Post JYM). Feel free to shake your bottle up vigorously so it all mixes well, then slam it. That said, simply for taste and texture purposes, I recommend mixing your Pro JYM shake and letting it sit in your refrigerator for 30 minutes or more. This thickens it up a bit and it tastes amazing!
- As for timing pre-workout, have your Pro JYM shake before workouts in the same time window as you’re having your Pre JYM. Personally, I like to mix up a big batch of Pro JYM (2 scoops or so, or 50-60 grams worth of protein) and start sipping on it about 15 minutes before my workout. And then I’ll continue sipping it through my workout and into my post-workout window. But feel free to down your Pro JYM shortly before your workout, either right after or just as you’re finishing your Pre JYM. Or, drink your Pro JYM 30-45 minutes before your workout, then start sipping on your Pre JYM. You can also mix Pre JYM and Pro JYM together. This is one of the main reasons I developed orange mango Pre JYM; it tastes amazing when mixed with vanilla Pro JYM.
- As I mentioned above in the Post JYM section, after workouts you can either drink your Pro JYM immediately following your training session and then sip on your Post JYM after that, or vice versa. Whatever you prefer.
- You don’t have to mix Pro JYM in water. It also mixes well in milk, including almond milk and other types. Mixing Pro JYM in milk rather than water is good for hardgainers or anyone looking to build their own high-calorie mass-gaining shake. While you’re at it, throw in a banana and some peanut butter. Better yet, try this homemade mass-gainer.
- Because Pro JYM provides a good dose of calcium (400 mg), it's a good idea to take vitamin D3 with it, which enhances the uptake and utilization of calcium.
Check out my video demonstration on How to Take Pre JYM, Pro JYM and Post JYM around workout time.
And here's a video on mixing Pre JYM with Pro JYM before workouts when you're short on time.
- Always take Vita JYM with a meal (paricularly a higher fat meal) to ensure proper absorption of nutrients in your body.
- However, make sure the meal you’re taking Vita JYM with is low in calcium, as calcium interferes with the absorption of iron and manganese, both of which are present in this multivitamin. So Vita JYM and Pro JYM (high in calcium at 400 mg per serving) should definitely be taken at separate times. Save Vita JYM for a meal that doesn’t include cheese, milk, yogurt or other dairy. A good guideline is to try to keep calcium intake under 200 mg when taking Vita JYM. The lower the calcium, the better.
- Vita JYM (not to mention most other multivitamins on the market) will make your urine turn a bright yellow color. Don’t be concerned; this is totally normal and mainly due to the B vitamins in Vita JYM.
- You can also take Omega JYM at the same time as Vita JYM to boost the fat amount you consume with Vita JYM.
- Always take Omega JYM fish oil with a meal – but it doesn’t need to be a low calcium meal.
- The prescribed dose of Omega JYM is four capsules a day. You can either take the four capsules all at once with the meal of your choice or split it up into two 2-capsule doses. Whatever you prefer.
- It’s common with fish oil supplements for some people to experience undesirable “fishy” burps. I took special care with Omega JYM to minimize the burps, but it could still happen with some people, especially with the high dose of Omega-3 fats. If you’re getting the burps, I recommend storing Omega JYM in the refrigerator, splitting up your doses and taking your doses with the largest meal possible. Here's a YouTube video tip on Cold Omega JYM.
- Shred JYM can be taken with or without meals, though some people don’t tolerate green tea extract well on an empty stomach. If this is you, take Shred JYM with meals.
- Shred JYM contains 200mg of caffeine per serving, so keep that in mind when coordinating with other caffeinated beverages. Pre JYM contains 300mg of caffeine, so I typically recommend not taking these two products in proximity with each other, especially for if you’re caffeine sensitive. Here's an article where I discuss this topic in more detail: How to Take Shred JYM.
- Caffeine sensitive individuals should also not take Shred JYM close to bedtime, as it could interfere with you getting a good night’s sleep.
- While I recommend starting with 2 doses per day, those who tolerate caffeine well can do 3 daily servings.
- If you're sensitive to caffeine, consider starting with less than the full dose until you find you tolerate the lower dose well. Then you can gradually increase to the full dose.
- Those who weigh less than 120 pounds may find that using a 1/2 dose of Shred JYM is adequate.
- First of all, be sure to read my Alpha JYM FAQs to determine if Alpha JYM is right for you.
- It's best to take Alpha JYM with a meal to ensure proper absorption.
- On training days, take Alpha JYM about an hour before your workout, which will fall a short time before your pre-workout Pre JYM and Pro JYM intake.
- Morning and nighttime are other good times to take Alpha JYM.
- Here's a video on How to Take Alpha JYM.
- ZMA JYM is most effective when taken on an empty stomach, so take it at least one hour after your previous meal or snack and wait at least an hour after taking it before eating again. Calcium in particular hinders the absorption of ZMA’s ingredients in the body.
- ZMA supplements are typically taken at night before bedtime, as it’s been shown to improve sleep quality to promote better recovery. I recommend taking it shortly before bedtime as well (30-60 minutes prior), but you certainly don’t have to. You can take it between any meal during the day if you prefer.
- The prescribed ZMA JYM dose for men is three capsules a day. Women should take only two capsules daily (2/3 dose of men).
For in-depth explanations of all products, visit the JYM Supplements section of JYMSupplementScience.com.
Have Jim Stoppani be your Personal Trainer!Get Started!
Mall of America Live Well Bodyweight ClassJim Stoppani's Mall of America Live Well Bodyweight Class
13 Things You Didn't Know About Muscle GrowthKnowing muscle will help you grow more of it. Here are a handful of hypertrophy truisms to take to the gym for maximal muscle building.
Muscle Menu: Peanut Butter & Chocolate OatmealThis recipe is so big on taste it will seem like a cheat meal – but it's not!
New Year's Challenge RegistrationRegister now!